Help:Getting Started on the ServiceNow Wiki
|Note: The ServiceNow Wiki is no longer being updated. Visit http://docs.servicenow.com for the latest product documentation.|
Discover how to get the most from the ServiceNow Wiki. In this article, you will learn how to:
- Register as a ServiceNow Wiki user and validate your email address to get the most benefit from the wiki.
- Find the information you need to perform day-to-day operations.
- Watch pages so you receive email notifications whenever they are changed.
- Provide feedback to help improve the quality of the documentation.
- Set preferences to enhance the way the wiki works for you.
2 Finding Information in the Wiki
The wiki lets you find information in the way that's best for you.
The homepage organizes topics visually to help you drill down from articles with general information to more detailed content.
Each wiki page offers several methods for finding information.
- Search: Enter keywords in the Search box for quick access to both wiki articles and information in the ServiceNow User Community. Results are presented in a standard Google search format.
- Navigation pane: Jump to pages in another category or perform other wiki activities, such as:
- Accessing current Release Notes and instructions for getting Technical Support.
- Creating a Book that contains wiki pages of your choice and exporting it as PDF or ordering a printed copy from a third-party vendor.
- Downloading a page as PDF.
- Breadcrumbs: Navigate directly to related articles in the current page's category path.
- Contents and Topic box: Click these links to quickly access sections on the same page or related information in other articles.
3 Watching Pages
As a registered user, you can watch a wiki page and see a watchlist of your watched pages have changed. You can also receive an email notification when a watched page is modified.
|Note: Before you can receive email notifications for watched pages, you must first configure email notifications.|
4 Printing Wiki Articles and Books
To print wiki content for future reference, select an option from the PRINT section of the navigation pane.
- Create a Book lets you organize multiple articles into a book.
- Book Help provides instructions for the other three options.
- Download Page as PDF generates a PDF file of the current article.
- Printable Version displays the current article in a format suitable for printing with browser print controls.
|Note: Clicking the browser’s Print button while viewing a standard ServiceNow Wiki page may produce sub-optimal results.|
5 Providing Feedback on the Wiki
Giving feedback is a great way to improve the quality of the documentation you depend on. The Feedback tab above every article allows logged in users to supply free-form feedback and reply to previously posted entries. This feedback might be, for example, a request for clarification or to point out an omission. Users who are not logged in can view previously posted entries.
|Note: Before using this feature for the first time, please review the Wiki Code of Conduct for tips on wiki usage.|
To provide detailed feedback:
- Click the Feedback tab above the article.
- If this is the first feedback for the article, enter the requested information in the text box and click Save.
- If previous feedback has been entered for the article, do one of the following:
- To reply to an existing comment, click the Reply link beside that entry.
- To change an existing comment, click the Edit link beside that entry.
- To add a new comment, click New.
- Enter your comments and click Save.
|Note: If you watch the page that you provide feedback for, you can be notified when a reply is posted.|
6 Registering as a ServiceNow Wiki User
Any user can access the ServiceNow Wiki, but when you register as a ServiceNow Wiki user, you can access additional features, such as watching pages, being notified when a watched page changes, and providing feedback.
To register as a ServiceNow Wiki user:
- Click Log in/create account in the top right corner of the screen.
- In the Log in box, click Create an account.
- In the RECAPTCHA box at the top, enter the two distorted words in the order shown and separated by a space.
- If you are not sure what the words are, either enter your best guess or click the reload button beside the distorted words. Visually impaired users can click the audio button to hear the set of words that can be entered instead of using the visual challenge.
- Enter the rest of the requested information.
- Click Create account.
- After you have created an account, you will need to login to the wiki for each session. You can select the Remember my login on this computer check box to have the username and password prepopulated on each login.
|Note: The E-mail address is used to send email notifications about pages you are watching.|
7 Setting Wiki Preferences
You can set account preferences to configure the wiki so that it enhances the way that you work. For example, you can change your password, set file size and search options, and configure under what circumstances the system sends you email notifications.
7.1 Validating Your Email Address
After you register, click the link in the automatic validation message that was sent to the email address you specified to validate your account.
If you registered some time in the past and cannot find the validation email, click Preferences at the top of the window, scroll to the E-mail options section, and click Confirm your e-mail address.
In the message box that appears, click Mail a confirmation code. When the email arrives, click the link to validate your email account.
|Note: You can also change your password from the E-mail options section of the User profile tab by clicking Change e-mail address.|
7.2 Configuring Email Notifications
You can configure the ServiceNow Wiki to send email notifications for selected actions.
- Click Preferences at the top of the window.
- On the User profile tab, select the actions for which you want to be notified:
- When a page or file on your watchlist is changed.
- When minor edits are performed on pages and files in your watchlist.
- Click Save.